O&M promotes IBM’s Wimbledon link
By JULIAN LEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 June 1999 12:00AM
IBM has taken its ’e-culture’ campaign on to ambient media with the sponsorship of the Underground station serving the Wimbledon tennis championships.
IBM has taken its ’e-culture’ campaign on to ambient media with the
sponsorship of the Underground station serving the Wimbledon tennis
IBM, a sponsor of Wimbledon for ten years, is transforming Southfields
station to resemble Centre Court.
The deal, brokered by MindShare and created by Ogilvy & Mather, includes
covering the platform in Astroturf, putting umbrellas on lamp-posts and
providing commentary from a live umpire. The 48-sheet posters on either
side of the platform will carry crowd scenes while special
Wimbledon-themed ’e-business’ executions will run on four-sheet
Outside the station, a branded tennis net will span the road and 22
buses ferrying visitors to the ground will sport an IBM makeover.
Southfields station receives half of all the visitors to the
championships and an estimated 26,000 people a day will pass through the
station for the duration of the tournament. IBM, which supplies
Wimbledon with its computer equipment and website, hopes the ambient
campaign will also highlight IBM’s links with the internet.
In recent years, Southfields station has been used for ambient media
campaigns during the Wimbledon fortnight by both Nike and Perrier with
IBM’s marketing communications manager, Lorraine Peel, said the
sponsorship was taking the IBM brand out of the office. ’We’re reaching
younger people through their interests,’ she said.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford
- Market Insight & Reporting Manager Michael Page Digital £42800 - £50300 per annum, London
- Senior Display, Social and Mobile Manager Michael Page Digital £75000 - £78000 per annum, Middlesex
- Designer - Stunning Agency - Central London - c£40k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£40k, Central London