NEWS: Omnicom rejigs Euro media arm
By CLAIRE BEALE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 October 1996 12:00AM
Omnicom has this week unveiled the structure of its new European media network, Optimum Media Direction, which will include a UK office to handle international clients.
Omnicom has this week unveiled the structure of its new European media
network, Optimum Media Direction, which will include a UK office to
handle international clients.
The dollars 7.1 billion-billing media specialist pulls together the
media planning and buying functions of Omnicom’s BBDO and DDB agencies
in 20 European countries. It is possible that TBWA’s media business -
currently handled by Carat’s Eurospace - could eventually be pulled into
the new network.
The network will take in all media activity, including strategy,
planning, buying, new media, sponsorship and barter.
In the UK, however, although there will be an OMD office, both New PHD -
the UK BBDO media operation - and BMP DDB Media will continue to operate
as separate entities.
Tim Cox, currently the European media director of BBDO, will take over
as chairman of OMD in the UK, handling UK co-ordination of international
clients and the introduction of pan-European research in the UK.
Derek Morris, the joint media director of BMP DDB, said that the launch
of OMD would have little effect on the way the two media operations
worked in the UK. But he added that they would benefit from being part
of a stronger European network.
OMD is described as ‘a third-generation media specialist’, and its
launch is being seen as a signal that Omnicom is disentangling itself
from the Media Partnership - the media buying group that includes J.
Walter Thompson and Ogilvy and Mather. However, an official Omnicom
statement insists: ‘TMP will continue to play a role in providing
leverage and research.’
Viviane Prat has been named as president of the new network and she will
also retain her role as president of OMD in France. Eduard van Eyk, from
the German operation, is due to take on the role of European vice-
As well as the UK brands remaining separate, BBDO’s Media Direction and
Media Team brands, which exist in Europe, and DDB’s Optimum Media will
also retain their current identities, but they will operate under the
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Peterborough
- Technical SEO Account Manager - Leading Mid-size Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Brand Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, Ipswich
- Marketing Services Manager, Leisure Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'