Bulgarian vineyard picks M&C Saatchi to revitalise image
By ANNA GRIFFITHS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 December 1998 12:00AM
Bulgaria’s winemakers, long regarded as plonk producers by UK drinkers, have appointed M&C Saatchi to give them an image makeover.
Bulgaria’s winemakers, long regarded as plonk producers by UK
drinkers, have appointed M&C Saatchi to give them an image makeover.
The assignment comes from Domaine Boyar, the country’s first privately
owned wine company, which says it will put a #2 million annual spend
behind its bid to take on the British wine market.
The appointment is expected to lead to a TV push by the middle of next
year; the start of a campaign to give Bulgarian wines a consistent
quality image. The biggest spender in the UK market at the moment is the
Californian producer, E&J Gallo, which has a #1.3 million advertising
Moray MacLennan, the M&C Saatchi joint chief executive, said: ’This
won’t just be a burst but a brand-building exercise.’ The initiative
follows improvements to wine production facilities in Bulgaria, which
have been hampered by under-investment and institutionalised corruption
in the wake of Communism’s collapse.
Media planning and buying will continue to be handled by RCL
Communications, which helped co-ordinate the three-way creative
Bulgaria’s appeal to UK wine drinkers has faded substantially since the
late 80s, when it began to lose ground to invaders from the US,
Australia, South Africa, Chile, Spain and Hungary. Domaine Boyar
accounts for 3.5 per cent of UK wine sales.
The company is fighting back with a New World-style range of red and
white wines which will sell at between #4.99 and #6.99.
’About 35 per cent of UK wine drinkers buy within that range,’ MacLennan
explained. ’We’ll be targeting people who like discovering new wines but
aren’t necessarily wine buffs.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- PPC Campaign Executive - London Search Agency Silverdrum to £25,000 + benefits, London
- UK Marketing Controller Better Placed Recruitment £40000 - £49000 per annum + Car Allowance + Bonus , Greater Manchester
- Senior Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment Competitive Salary, Birmingham
- Brand Manager Sky negotiable, Middlesex
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity