O&M shows misery of Christmas in ad for the Samaritans
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 December 1998 12:00AM
Ogilvy & Mather is launching a Christmas campaign for the Samaritans next week which highlights the fact that, for some people, the festive season is the most miserable time of the year.
Ogilvy & Mather is launching a Christmas campaign for the
Samaritans next week which highlights the fact that, for some people,
the festive season is the most miserable time of the year.
The TV execution, which uses Bing Crosby’s rendition of Deck the Halls
as its soundtrack, shows various harrowing scenes such as tearful
children watching their parents have a violent argument, a young girl
fearing her father’s sexual abuse and an elderly widow eating alone.
The spot was directed by BFCS Films’ Derek Coutts, best known for ads
depicting happy family scenes, such as the Oxo campaign. His style has
been applied to surprise viewers - the film opens on hearty, happy
Christmas situations which then turn into scenes of misery.
The ad uses the endline, ’Whatever you’re going through this Christmas,
the Samaritans will go through it with you’, and then shows a helpline
number. The endline was introduced in March 1995, when O&M produced its
first work for the charity.
The campaign also incorporates a radio ad based on the Twelve Days of
Christmas. The traditional lyrics are replaced with: ’On the 12th day of
Christmas, there’s likely to be: 12 families fighting, 11 widows
weeping, 10 fathers fuming ...’
The campaign was art directed by Marcus Vinton and written by Alun
Media buying is handled by MindShare.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000, Central London
- Senior Analyst -Digital Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £60,000, Surrey
- Senior Data Analyst Direct Recruitment £40,000 - £45,000, London
- Digital and RM Data Performance Manager Direct Recruitment £55,000 - £60,000, West London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014