TV MONITOR/A WEEKLY LOOK AT WHO’S BUYING WHAT AND WHEN
By STEFANO HATFIELD, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 December 1998 12:00AM
It was the last episode of Friends and a nation mourned as Friday nights in front of the TV will never be the same again. Last Friday’s double bill was a must-watch for a massive cross-section of viewers.
It was the last episode of Friends and a nation mourned as Friday
nights in front of the TV will never be the same again. Last Friday’s
double bill was a must-watch for a massive cross-section of viewers.
Quite aside from the main pull of the will-they/won’t-they wedding
between Ross and his English Rose, played by posh totty, Helen
Baxendale, cameo appearances from Jennifer Saunders and Fergie, among
others, were guaranteed to draw a crowd.
Advertisers in the centre break of the first programme were the Gap,
Heineken, Polygram’s Honeyz album, Telstar’s Lutricia McNeil and Sash!
albums, Virgin’s Love album and Baileys Irish Cream.
Heineken buys into TV comedy and, according to Motive’s Adam Bishop,
last week’s Friends, which achieved a 9.4 rating among 18- to
34-year-olds, was easily the best buy of the week.
The Gap appeared in the break because the buyer recognised that Friends
would attract large numbers of young people - the brand’s target
Baileys’ buyer, Steve Hobbs, explained that a slot in the last episode
of a ’great series’ was an unmissable opportunity and, with the added
audience appeal of the cameo appearances, the potential for one-off
coverage was huge.
TV station: Channel 4
Date: Friday 11 December, 21.00
Break transmission time: 21.13
BARB: 16.8 housewives with children TVRs (live)
Buyer: Adam Bishop
Client: Baileys Irish Cream
Buyer: Steve Hobbs
Client: The Gap
Agency: CIA Medianetwork
Buyer: Andy Berry
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- eCommerce Manager JV Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits & Pension, Manchester
- Graphic Designer Creative Recruitment negotiable, Middlesex
- Insight Analyst - Financial Client-side Elizabeth Norman International £22000 - £27000 Per Annum, London
- Head of Marketing - London Designer Outlet Realm in the region of £60k, London