BBC’s Clothes Show loses sales fight to teen fashion rivals
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 19 December 1997 12:00AM
BBC Magazines has been forced to close its style magazine, Clothes Show, which was struggling to compete in the aggressive young women’s fashion magazine sector.
BBC Magazines has been forced to close its style magazine, Clothes
Show, which was struggling to compete in the aggressive young women’s
fashion magazine sector.
The final issue of the glossy monthly magazine came out last week. In
its last ABC audit for January to June, its average sale was 150,494,
down nearly 3 per cent on the previous year.
Sources close to the magazine say too much money would have had to be
invested in the title just to hold its current circulation.
Gillian Laskier, director of the family group, BBC Worldwide UK region,
said: ’Despite the fact that the magazine is at its highest standard
ever in terms of editorial, design and ad sales revenue, it has not been
possible to achieve enough return on our investment.’
Laskier added that BBC Worldwide had an ambitious expansion programme
lined up with the launch of two monthly magazines in the home interest
and science market in the first half of 1998.
Clothes Show magazine has faced fierce competition from the Emap Elan’s
revamped Looks magazine and IPC’s 19. The magazine, which was aimed at
16- to 24-year-olds, was also squeezed by Attic Futura’s Sugar, which
grew 31 per cent year on year to 474,104 in the latest ABCs.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- PPC Senior Executive - Family Feel Media Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PPC Account Manger - Big budget client!!! Ultimate Asset £22000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Project Manager - Freelance and Perm Contracts The Industry Club London Ltd Various, London
- Brand Consultant / Strategist Royds Raphael £80k-£90k+neg dep. on experience, London