Leo Burnett beats Dorland to pounds 2m John West account
By KAREN YATES, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 19 December 1997 12:00AM
John West is set to return to television advertising after six years following the appointment of Leo Burnett to its pounds 2 million full-service account.
John West is set to return to television advertising after six
years following the appointment of Leo Burnett to its pounds 2 million
Burnetts won the canned-fish brand, which was bought by Heinz in the
summer, after a two-way pitch against Bates Dorland, which handles the
lion’s share of Heinz’s advertising. Bartle Bogle Hegarty, which handled
John West under its previous owner, Unilever, declined to pitch.
Burnetts’ sister agency in Paris, Bordelais Lemeunier, runs the
advertising for Heinz’s fish brands in France under the Petit Navire
banner. The appointment of Burnetts’ London office will help to
co-ordinate the brand across Europe, according to Ian Meadows, UK
seafood director at Heinz. The UK and France are the biggest seafood
markets for Heinz in Europe.
John West was a heavy TV advertiser in the 70s and 80s with the line:
’It’s the fish that John West rejects that makes John West the
No expenditure has been registered under the brand over the past year,
according to AC Nielsen Meal, but a campaign scheduled for next year is
expected to amount to pounds 2 million.
’In recent years (John West) has lacked the level of marketing support
it deserves. We’ve appointed Burnetts to help us formulate a
communications strategy which will drive the brand and the canned fish
category as a whole,’ Meadows said.
Nick Brien, chief executive of Burnetts, promised a ’truly’ creative
route for West.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Paid Social Manager Lipton Fleming £32000 - £42000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Events Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Agency Account Manager/Director (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London
- Head of Brand Marketing Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, Surrey
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart