Daewoo reveals Christmas work
By MAIRI CLARK, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 19 December 1997 12:00AM
Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters has created a pounds 5 million campaign for Daewoo, which breaks on Christmas Eve.
Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters has created a pounds 5 million campaign
for Daewoo, which breaks on Christmas Eve.
The campaign consists of four 30-second and two ten-second
The first 30-second film, ’champagne’, unveils three models, while the
others concentrate on the three years’ worth of insurance, warranty and
servicing that comes free with Daewoo cars.
’Champagne’ opens by asking: ’What kind of car company has the
experience to launch three cars at the same time?’ The voiceover goes on
to describe other products Daewoo manufactures and shows bottles of
champagne being smashed on to the cars, the side of a ship, a
helicopter, a TV and other products.
The second ad, ’mobile’, opens on four cars suspended on wires. As
background music plays, the cars spin round and the camera pulls back to
show the cars are actually part of a baby’s mobile suspended above a
The third ad, ’stress relief’, shows cars again suspended by wires but
swinging from side to side and bumping into each other. As the camera
pulls back, the viewer sees that the cars form an executive stress
The fourth spot, ’clay’, uses claymation to show how Daewoo cars are
moulded to fit around the driver. Directed by Luis Cook through Aardman
Animations, it shows two parents, a young girl and a baby each getting
into a car which is made out of modelling clay. As they get into the
car, they are absorbed into the mould.
The two ten-second spots, ’telephone’ and ’wheel’, publicise the direct
response phone line for people wanting information about Daewoo.
Duckworth Finn’s creative directors, Dave Waters and Paul Grubb, created
’champagne’ and ’telephone’, both of which were directed by Ian Giles
through Annex Films.
The ’stress relief’, ’mobile’ and ’wheel’ executions were written by
Brendon Wilkins and art directed by Paul Hancock.
’Stress relief’ and ’mobile’ were directed by Daniel Barber through Rose
Hackney Barber, while ’wheel’ was directed by Giles. The animated ad,
’clay’, was written by James Fryer and art directed by Mike London.
Media planning and buying is by CIA Medianetwork.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- PROCUCTION MANAGER / DIRECTOR - BRANDING DESIGN & STRATEGY Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+neg, London
- Account Director / Senior Account Manager - Retail Branding & Interiors Royds Raphael £40K - £50K, London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Birds Eye kicks off £60m pan-Euro campaign
- OgilvyOne loses BA business