NEWS: AMV focuses on real people for Sainsbury card push
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 21 June 1996 12:00AM
Sainsbury’s has gone on the counter-offensive against its arch-rival, Tesco, with national TV and poster advertising to launch its long- awaited loyalty card.
Sainsbury’s has gone on the counter-offensive against its arch-rival,
Tesco, with national TV and poster advertising to launch its long-
awaited loyalty card.
In what is being hailed as the start of the biggest store war since the
days of Green Shield stamps, the campaign demonstrates Sainsbury’s new
strategy of focusing on real people rather than celebrities.
Produced by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, the two 30-second commercials for
the Reward Card are intended to repair some of the damage inflicted on
Sainsbury’s sales by Tesco’s Clubcard.
The Reward Card offers vouchers on points collected through shopping at
Sainsbury’s. The vouchers can be spent at Sainsbury’s, Homebase or Texas
stores or swapped for Air Miles points.
Peter Souter, the agency’s deputy creative director, and his art
director, Paul Brazier, produced the films which feature consumers of
varying profiles and ages. They were directed by John O’Driscoll through
Paul Weiland Films.
In one film, a young couple offer contrasting views about how they will
spend their vouchers. The wife dreams of the South of France while her
husband confesses he has blown the vouchers on a bottle of chardonnay.
Kevin McCarten, Sainsbury’s marketing director, said: ‘This is gentle
humour and the way real people speak and think.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- IAB: ad is 'viewable' if half of it is seen for one second
- Powerade launches global World Cup campaign