ABC FIGURES: Turnaround for home interest
By MICHELE MARTIN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 21 August 1998 12:00AM
Home interest magazines have enjoyed a remarkable renaissance in the past 12 months, with the market rising by nearly 8 per cent, clawing back last year’s fall of half a per cent.
Home interest magazines have enjoyed a remarkable renaissance in
the past 12 months, with the market rising by nearly 8 per cent, clawing
back last year’s fall of half a per cent.
The rise bodes well for the future of a raft of recently launched titles
in the arena - including H. Bauer’s Beautiful Living and IPC’s Living
etc - which do not yet feature on the ABC lists. Gruner & Jahr’s Your
Home weighed in with more than 170,000 in its first ABC result.
Although the National Magazine Company’s House Beautiful remains the
top-selling title, with a circulation of 308,063 and a rise of 3.5 per
cent year on year, the figures reveal another good year for the BBC’s
Homes and Antiques magazine. Its circulation rose steeply for the second
consecutive year, by 11.3 per cent to 213,038.
The increase means that the title becomes the sector’s third
biggest-selling title, having overtaken IPC’s Ideal Home, which fell by
4.3 per cent in 12 months to 208,480.
Marcus Arthur, publisher of BBC Homes and Antiques, said: ’We’ve always
been considered part of the upmarket sector, but now that we’re selling
more than Ideal Home and only slightly less than Homes and Ideas, we are
competing in the mass market.’
Emap’s relative newcomer, Elle Decoration, continued to flourish at the
top end of the market with its first full-year figures revealing a
circulation of 65,609, up 5.5 per cent.
Other successes included GE Magazines’ Inspirations, with a 7.6 per cent
HOME INTEREST MAGAZINES
Title Publisher Total ABC Period on Year on
period % year %
House Beautiful NatMags 308,063 1.0 3.5
Homes and Ideas IPC 218,619 0.2 -4.0
Homes & Antiques BBC 213,038 5.7 11.3
Ideal Home IPC 208,480 0.2 -4.3
Country Living NatMags 180,190 1.2 3.7
Homes & Gardens IPC 173,546 1.4 -1.3
Your Home G&J 170,046 - -
House & Garden Conde Nast 163,798 0.3 -2.4
Inspirations G E Magazines 120,463 4.5 7.6
Period Living Emap 105,950 0.1 4.8
Country Homes IPC 105,492 -4.2 -7.4
Perfect Home DMG 90,300 -0.4 -2.7
World of Interiors Conde Nast 71,654 2.7 0.4
Elle Decoration Emap 65,609 4.8 5.5
Source: Audit Bureau of Circulations.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account