Cellnet users gain access to Internet with Genie launch
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 23 May 1997 12:00AM
Cellnet this week launches an online service - called Genie - which allows mobile phone users to connect to the Internet.
Cellnet this week launches an online service - called Genie - which
allows mobile phone users to connect to the Internet.
Aimed at traditional Cellnet users, Genie is designed to be a single
system for both receiving information and talking on the telephone.
Subscribers will be able to access a news service through their
computers via the Internet, but can also be kept up to date on subjects
of particular interest while they are away from their desks through
their mobile phones.
The display panels of digital phones can show messages of up to 160
characters in length, and special items of news can be flashed up
according to each individual’s needs. For example, customers could
nominate the price of a particular share, and should this rise or fall,
Genie will send a message to their mobile phone allowing them to act
upon the information quickly.
Developed by the Hub Communications Company - the agency launched in
1995 by Sam Rudder, formerly of S. P. Lintas, and Marek Grabowski, an
ex-creative director of Batey Advertising - Genie will initially offer
six different categories of information, including lifestyle, money,
news, jobs and travel. Within each area, customers can highlight their
Brian Greasley, the head of new business at Cellnet, said: ’We are
trying to give people access to qualified information when they are on
It is very much about liberating the individual. It is about saying we
understand your needs.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Senior Project Manager (Digital) Dynamic New Alliances £50000 - £60000 per annum, City of London
- Digital & Print Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £33000 per annum + amazing bonus scheme & benefits, London
- Global CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000, International/Europe
- Assistant Brand Manager Veritas Partnership Ltd £28000 - £35000 Per Annum plus benefits, M3-A3 Corridor