BBH turns to manga for Murphy’s ad
By ELEANOR TRICKETT, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 24 October 1997 12:00AM
Bartle Bogle Hegarty has launched the third in a series of off-the-wall ads for bottled Murphy’s Irish Stout, using manga-style animation.
Bartle Bogle Hegarty has launched the third in a series of
off-the-wall ads for bottled Murphy’s Irish Stout, using manga-style
The work, which will run in Ireland only, is the first of its kind for a
Western brand. It was created by 96 illus-trators over six months and
directed and produced by Mamoru Oshii, the cult manga artist of many
feature-length movies, including Ghost in the Shell.
The 60-second ad, ’last orders’, opens on a futuristic cityscape. A
cannon is fired at a curfew bell which resounds around the city.
The sound triggers the gathering of the six Samurai warriors, seen in
the previous two ads for the stout. One runs through a sewer, one weaves
under a bridge and one para-glides in a giant kite; another jumps into
gridlocked traffic and runs across the cars, and two arrive by boat.
They all meet up outside a bar, the entrance of which is framed by a
neon ’Murphy’s’ sign. Inside, a grey-haired barman polishes glasses and
looks at his watch pointedly. The Samurai point to a bottle of Murphy’s
Irish Stout and, under the perturbed gaze of the other drinkers, they
pick up their bottles in the now familiar ’wrist twist’ style, and drink
A second chime from the bell takes us to a shot outside as a metal
grille slams over the bar door, barring a latecomer about to go in. The
endline flashes up in flickering neon: ’Don’t miss out.’
The ad launches this week on Irish cinemas and TV. It was written by
Hugh Todd, art directed by Adam Scholes and produced by Mamoru Oshii
through Nexus. Media was planned by Motive and bought locally.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London