RAC repositions with documercial launch
By KAREN YATES, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 25 April 1997 12:00AM
The RAC’s pounds 4 million push to reposition itself as a journey management group rather than a simple roadside repair service broke new ground this week with an unscripted two-and-a-half minute ’documercial’.
The RAC’s pounds 4 million push to reposition itself as a journey
management group rather than a simple roadside repair service broke new
ground this week with an unscripted two-and-a-half minute
The film shows a series of interviews with a selection of technological
gurus including Ken Perlin, the director of New York University’s Centre
for Advanced Technol-ogy, about what the future holds. The talking heads
are interspersed with futuristic images.
The concept came from the creative directors of BDDH, Simon Green and
John Dean, who invited Mark Harrison, the documentary film director, to
make his debut in commercials for the campaign.
The Media Business, which bought all media, persuaded ITN to shorten its
commercial breaks by 30 seconds to ensure the ad would run by
Initially scheduled for three screenings this week, the ’documercial’
will be followed by 30-second cutdowns and a series of ten-second ads
promoting various products.
TV advertising will be backed by national press ads, three posters and
eight tube- card executions.
The repositioning was the brainchild of the RAC’s group strategic
director, Jan Smith, who set up a ’virtual agency’ for the campaign.
Client of the week, p16
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Development Communications Officer Imperial College London £33,590 - £41,540 p.a., South Kensington, London
- Group Account Director Twist Recruitment £65000.00 - £75000.00 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Role, FMCG brand, ATL, Integrated & Digital - award winning agency MODA consult £35k - £37k plus excellent benefits, Central London
- PR Account Executive, B2B Tech, London, £22k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £22000 per annum, London