FOR THE RECORD
By ALASDAIR REID, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 25 April 1997 12:00AM
The Observer has closed its Tiddler magazine after only seven months. Launched last September, it was described as the paper’s ’little bit extra for Sunday’. However, the magazine failed to deliver extra sales for the paper and was criticised internally. The paper’s circulation fell 1 per cent in March to 450,090.
The Observer has closed its Tiddler magazine after only seven
months. Launched last September, it was described as the paper’s ’little
bit extra for Sunday’. However, the magazine failed to deliver extra
sales for the paper and was criticised internally. The paper’s
circulation fell 1 per cent in March to 450,090.
Almost 20 million people tuned in to Friday night’s one-hour Coronation
Street special on ITV. In the cliff-hanger, the show’s Don Brennan
kidnapped Alma Baldwin. The episode ended with fans not knowing if the
pair would survive.
Attic Futura has unveiled the details of its new monthly title,
codenamed Project Spice. The magazine is called B and carries the
strapline ’absolutely you’. It launches on 7 May and is aimed at 18- to
22-year-old women. The coverprice is pounds 1.80 and the magazine will
be supported by a pounds 1 million campaign through the McWilliams
Partnership and Total Media.
An additional two million homes will be able to receive Channel 5 when
it starts broadcasting on the Astra satellite this week. The move - the
first by a UK terrestrial broadcaster - means homes outside Channel 5’s
terrestrial and cable transmission area will now have the option of
receiving the channel free with their system.
The IT publisher, Ziff-Davis, and the satellite broadcaster, the
Fantastic Corporation, are to work together to create a computer channel
which will deliver news, games and software direct to desktop PCs. ZDNet
Channel will be an Internet push system, although it will use a network
of television satellites for faster delivery rather than telephone
Total Media has retained the Epson Nordic account after a successful
repitch against Transworld Media. Total Media will continue to handle
all media planning and buying for Epson UK in Sweden, Norway, Denmark
The DIY retailer, Do It All, is door-dropping two million households
with copies of its new customer magazine, Homeplus. The magazine,
published by Atom Publishing, aims to convert store traffic into sales.
The first issue includes money-off coupons and a 16-page section on
Scottish Television is to rename itself the Scottish Media Group to
reflect the broad base of its media interests. The group expanded into
newspapers last year with the purchase of Caledonian Publishing, owner
of the Herald and the Evening Times.
The Radio Authority has ruled that GWR is now within the 15 per cent
limit on radio ownership. The authority reached this decision after a
thorough examination of GWR’s recent disposals.
Business magazines were the fastest growing medium during the fourth
quarter of 1996, recording 18.6 per cent year-on-year growth according
to latest figures from the Advertising Association. Consumer magazines
were the third-fastest growing medium, with a growth rate of 8.9 per
cent behind outdoor and transport (9.4 per cent).
The Association of Publishing Agencies has launched a Website as part of
a drive to raise the profile of contract magazine publishers. The site
aims to inform users about the benefits of developing customer
Virgin Atlantic’s ’grim reaper’ ad has won the Laser-sponsored Chartered
Institute of Marketing’s Travel Industry Group prize for the most
effective travel ad. The ad was created by Rainey Kelly Campbell
NBC Europe is regionalising its pan-European TV service with the launch
of a German-language ’window’ which will allow advertisers to target
NBC’s 14.4 million homes in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account