NEWS: Pan-Euro survey for TV and print allows media comparison
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 April 1996 12:00AM
The relative strengths of pan-European print and broadcast media can be compared on the same audience measurement system for the first time with the launch of the European Media Survey.
The relative strengths of pan-European print and broadcast media can be
compared on the same audience measurement system for the first time with
the launch of the European Media Survey.
The survey, which measures print and television together in 17 European
countries, is designed to allow media planners and buyers a comparative
insight into different media. It will be updated every six months.
A sample of 18,000 telephone interviews and 8-9,000 postal interviews
was used to represent up-market Europeans and their media and lifestyle
EMS measured consumption of national and international newspapers;
consumer, business and in-flight magazines and international, national,
cable and satellite TV.
The survey also covers lifestyle habits such as travel, business life,
product usage and ownership, personal finance, interests and cultural
The Financial Times, Paris Match, the Reader’s Digest and Eurosport all
scored top in their categories. Of the daily and weekly newspapers, the
FT was way ahead of its competitors, with more than 1.1 million readers,
compared with its nearest rival, the European, on 315,000.
Among the weekly and fortnightly magazines surveyed, Paris Match’s 1.5
million readers compared with 1.3 million for Time magazine. Of the
monthlies, the Reader’s Digest clocked up 5.5 million readers against
3.9 million for Cosmopolitan.
In the TV market, Eurosport’s 3.8 million viewers compared with 1.8
million for Germany’s Arte, 1.5 million for CNN and 1.4 million for MTV.
See page 27
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Pitch Consultants £3000 - £34000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Birmingham