DIRECT NEWS: Survey reveals rise of direct response in press ad medium
By KAREN YATES, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 June 1998 12:00AM
The use of direct response in national and regional press advertising has risen dramatically in the past three years, marking the popularity of direct marketing techniques among advertisers.
The use of direct response in national and regional press
advertising has risen dramatically in the past three years, marking the
popularity of direct marketing techniques among advertisers.
Up to 90 per cent of news-paper ads include direct response, up from 78
per cent in 1995, according to figures released this week by the Direct
Marketing Association’s Research Centre.
Colin Lloyd, chief executive of the DMA, said: ’The results confirm the
full extent to which direct marketing techniques have been embraced by
Preliminary figures for direct marketing expenditure in 1997 in the UK
are pounds 7.2 billion, up from pounds 6.2 billion in 1996. The figures
confirm that direct marketing has become the largest form of marketing
communications in the UK, according to the DMA.
Advertisers’ growing use of direct response is the result of better
technology and a desire to quantify the effectiveness of advertising and
to establish direct contact with consumers, Lloyd said.
The growth potential of direct response in radio and TV is higher than
in news-paper advertising, which has almost reached saturation point,
the DMA found.
Direct response advertising in magazines has also reached saturation
point at 80 per cent, according to the survey.
Philip Cuts, head of marketing at the Periodical Publishers Association,
said: ’It is an indication that advertisers have been successful with
direct response in magazines.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Mobile Strategic Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + +comm, London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool
- Senior Account Manager Brand Recruitment £30000 per annum + car allowance, Romford
- Designer for Agency- up to 30k dependent on experience Nakama Up to 30k dependent on experience, Central London