NEWS: Scottish anti-drugs organisation faces pitches controversy
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 July 1996 12:00AM
A dispute has arisen following a series of pitches held for the Government-funded Scotland Against Drugs (SAD) campaign.
A dispute has arisen following a series of pitches held for the
Government-funded Scotland Against Drugs (SAD) campaign.
The pounds 500,000 account was originally rumoured to have been handed
to Faulds Advertising before the 17 July deadline for proposals.
The two other agencies, the Bridge and the Union, were told more than a
month ago that their pitches had been unsuccessful. However, SAD is
adamant no appointment has been made.
Jim Faulds, Faulds’ managing director, is an adviser to SAD and a member
of its steering committee, a position which led to accusations of bias.
SAD has also been accused of breaking European Community rules by
awarding the account without placing an advertisement inviting pitches
in the Journal of the European Community.
David Whitton, a spokesman for the SAD project, countered: ‘We invited
five agencies to pitch, three pitched. Of those three we rejected two,
simply because their ideas weren’t as good as Faulds’.’
Whitton said an ad had been placed and two more agencies had pitched.
Jim Faulds was unavailable for comment. However, Whitton said: ‘When we
first invited Faulds to pitch, Jim Faulds approached Tom Farmer, the
managing director of Kwik Fit and chairman of the SAD steering
committee, and offered to resign because his agency was on the pitch-
list. We didn’t see there was any point then, and we don’t now.’
A decision on the account is expected shortly.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account