CAMPAIGN INTERNATIONAL: MEDIA GIANTS (SPONSORED BY MOTHER TONGUE WRITERS)
By ALASDAIR REID, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 March 1998 12:00AM
THE WASHINGTON POST
THE WASHINGTON POST
Revenues for 1997 were dollars 1.95 billion, up by 6 per cent on the
previous year. Newspaper publishing accounted for dollars 813 million of
that 1997 revenue figure, magazines accounted for dollars 390 million;
and broadcasting, including cable network operations, took dollars 338
million. As well as media and online assets, the company owns
educational centres and newsprint paper mills.
The Washington Post (daily circulation of over 800,000), the Everett
Herald, Minneapolis-St Paul Star Tribune (23 per cent stake), Gazette
Newspapers (one newspaper and 21 community newsletters in Maryland),
International Herald Tribune (50 per cent stake).
Newsweek, Newsweek Business Plus, Newsweek Woman, Newsweek International
(global English-language editions plus the Japanese Nihon Ban and Korean
Hankuk Pan. TechNews division publishes various trade and technical
titles including Washington Technology, Technology Almanac, Reseller
Management and Newsbyte News Network.
Post-Newsweek Stations owns network television stations in Houston, San
Antonio, Orlando, Detroit, Jacksonville and Miami.
Post-Newsweek Cable owns cable networks in 16 US states.
ONLINE SERVICES AND NEW MEDIA
Newsweek Interactive: specialises in online services and CD-Rom
Digital Ink: an online service development division.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Project Manager Red Sofa London £35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits, West London
- PR Account Executive Brand Recruitment £22000 - £24000 per annum + dependent on skills and experience , Milton Keynes
- Research Director - Consumer Goods PSD Group c. £70K + package, London
- Product and Marketing Executive Brand Recruitment £22000 - £24000 per annum, Hertford
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency