Robertson to run UK Scholz office
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 June 1997 12:00AM
Kate Robertson, Bates Europe’s business development director, is to set up a London office for Scholz and Friends, one of Germany’s top ten agencies.
Kate Robertson, Bates Europe’s business development director, is to
set up a London office for Scholz and Friends, one of Germany’s top ten
The office, which will open this autumn, will initially service German
clients expanding into the UK and some conflicting business from its
Bates network parent.
But Robertson said: ’It’s not our intention to enter a market as
important as the UK to be a German post box. Our intention is to become
a major UK player.’
She is close to securing premises in central London and to hiring a
senior creative from a major UK agency as her creative director.
The London office is expected to begin life with a nucleus of five staff
- all of them Britons - with the likelihood of numbers rising to 20 by
early next year. Media buying for the operation is likely to be handled
by Zenith Media.
Scholz is regarded as one of the most successful and profitable jewels
in the Bates Europe crown, with business that includes BMW’s domestic
account and Tchibo, the coffee manufacturer. At one time, Bates chiefs
discussed the possibility of using Scholz alongside Australia’s Campaign
Palace as the basis of a second-string global network.
Last year, it moved from being a Bates subsidiary to a network in its
own right in order to resolve a conflict between Reemstma, the German
cigarette manufacturer which accounts for 25 per cent of Scholz’s
dollars 350 million billings, and the dollars 200 million of British
American Tobacco global business handled by the Bates network.
Scholz has ten offices around the world. But Peter Schoning, the
agency’s managing partner, said: ’There’s no point in having a European
network if we’re not in London.’
He added: ’We’re client driven and we’re at a stage when opening in
London makes sense financially from a servicing point of view. We have
several clients which have promised us business if we move to the UK.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Pitch Consultants £3000 - £34000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Birmingham