Labour prepares to extend tobacco ban to direct marketing
By Our Parliamentary Correspondent, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 June 1997 12:00AM
The Government is set to extend its proposed ban on tobacco promotion to include severe curbs on direct marketing. The move comes just two weeks after the pressure group, Action On Smoking, raised the issue.
The Government is set to extend its proposed ban on tobacco
promotion to include severe curbs on direct marketing. The move comes
just two weeks after the pressure group, Action On Smoking, raised the
Health ministers want to stop the tobacco industry getting around an ad
ban by switching its pounds 50 million spend below the line.
One Government source said this week: ’An advertising ban on its own
will not be enough. The tobacco companies will have a huge financial
interest in getting round it. For every door that is closed, another 14
open. Ministers are not interested in gesture politics. They want their
legislation to be watertight.’
Tessa Jowell, the public health minister, has asked officials for a
report on the ways in which the tobacco industry will seek to recruit
smokers once the Government’s ban takes effect.
Health ministers have decided on a three-stage plan to combat
A summit of international experts in July will lead to a White Paper,
due to be published in October, which is likely to include a draft bill.
After consultation with the public, legislation will be introduced.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Account Manager - Excellent BTL London Agency - £37k + benefits! Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £37k, London
- Account Director - B2B technology Marketing Stonor £50,000 plus pension, H/C and 25 days holiday, West London/Bucks
- Recruitment Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PROJECT MANAGER - AGENCY - £45K Salt £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Dare creates European Ryanair ads
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare