CANNES ’97: Nissin Foods chief picks up advertiser of the year honour
By HARRIET GREEN and KAREN YATES in Cannes, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 June 1997 12:00AM
Koki Ando, the president and son of the founder of Nissin Foods, has been named as the 1997 advertiser of the year at Cannes. Nissin is the first Japanese winner and follows in the footsteps of Levi’s, Nike and Heineken.
Koki Ando, the president and son of the founder of Nissin Foods,
has been named as the 1997 advertiser of the year at Cannes. Nissin is
the first Japanese winner and follows in the footsteps of Levi’s, Nike
The title rewards Ando for his contribution to creative advertising.
Nissin’s ads have won Cannes lions for its agency, Hakuhodo, for five
Nissin first found international advertising fame in 1992, winning a
bronze lion for a quirky campaign based on the antics of a Neanderthal
man searching for food, contrasting this with the simple preparation of
Nissin Noodles. The following year, Nissin and Hakuhodo took the film
Grand Prix, and the partnership has won awards in each subsequent
Ando, 49, inherited his father’s company, turning the instant noodle
factory into a multi-million pound food conglomerate. Its products are
now sold in 12 countries and include extensions such as soups, cereals
and chilled foods.
However, his award at Cannes also acknowledges the growing involvement
by Japan and the rest of Asia in the international advertising
Japan sent in a record number of entries to Cannes this year, fielding
the third largest number of film entries.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits, Manchester
- Search Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Manchester
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London