Waters promises to focus on quality as Aerial Awards chair
By ASHLEY DAVIES, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 28 May 1999 12:00AM
Dave Waters, creative partner of Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters, has been picked to chair the judges for this year’s Aerial Awards.
Dave Waters, creative partner of Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters, has
been picked to chair the judges for this year’s Aerial Awards.
Waters, who admitted that the ’quality of radio advertising could do
with going up’, said he would like to see entries with great ideas and
good production values.
Explaining why he felt there were so many poor quality radio
commercials, he told Campaign: ’Whenever we talk to a media company,
they say radio makes a good deal of sense as a medium because you can’t
really walk away from it - but people use that as an excuse to shout at
listeners, which they shouldn’t.
’Radio often comes at the bottom of people’s plans and creatives want to
work on TV. It is also often seen as a cheaper way of doing TV and
people end up cramming far too much into radio ads.’
Waters said the awards encouraged young writers to produce better
material and that they were the only ’serious’ dedicated radio awards in
Waters is in the process of picking the 12 nomination judges, who
together will compile the shortlist of entries. A wider jury of 200
invited creatives will vote on the winners at the ceremony, to be held
at Bafta on 19 October, but the nomination judges will select the winner
of the Best Campaign category themselves.
The call for entries goes out in early June and the deadline for
submissions is 30 June.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Manager - Post Campaign Management - Ad Ops Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + bonus, London
- Regional HR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £40000 - £45000 per annum + package , Leeds
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £Competitive + fantastic benefits package, London
- PPC Senior Executive - Family Feel Media Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London