TV MONITOR/A WEEKLY LOOK AT WHO’S BUYING WHAT AND WHEN
By DOMINIC MILLS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 January 1999 12:00AM
ITV can do Agatha Christie-style thrillers pretty well and Midsomer Murders was no exception. John Nettles led a comfortably familiar cast, including Richard Briers and Daniel Casey. The gentle rural scenery - a stalwart of many an ITV murder drama - provided a perfect antidote to the gruesome homicide of the plot.
ITV can do Agatha Christie-style thrillers pretty well and Midsomer
Murders was no exception. John Nettles led a comfortably familiar cast,
including Richard Briers and Daniel Casey. The gentle rural scenery - a
stalwart of many an ITV murder drama - provided a perfect antidote to
the gruesome homicide of the plot.
The programme performed well against ABC1 men and ABC1 housewives, and
six advertisers jostled in the first break. BMW topped and tailed the
break, with Cyprus Tourism, McDonald’s, ONdigital, Sunny Delight and
Shredded Wheat also taking spots.
BMW had initially booked the slot because ITV had scheduled an episode
of Hornblower. But even though the nautical drama was shunted aside for
Midsomer Murders, the buyer felt that the mystery was equally
BMW is chasing ABC1 males aged 25 to 54, an audience against which such
dramas usually perform well.
McDonald’s also wanted to tap into a well-crafted drama, which would be
promoted and heavily trailed by ITV.
For ONdigital, the lure was a guaranteed strong audience and a broad
demographic attracted by quality programming.
Agency: Zenith Media
Buyer: John Heather
Agency: New PHD
Buyer: Harriet Perry
Agency: Leo Burnett
Buyer: Stewart Easterbrook
Programme: Midsomer Murders
Station: ITV Carlton
Date: 20 January, 20.00
Break transmission time: 20.28
BARB: ABC1 Men 11.3 TVRs (live)
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Digital Account Executive Stopgap £24000 - £25000 per annum, South East England
- POS Marketing Executive Stopgap £26000 - £28000 per annum, Hertfordshire
- Marketing & Communications Manager Stopgap £32000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel