NEWS: Dorlands picks up Discovery Channel business
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 March 1996 12:00AM
The Discovery Channel Europe has chosen Bates Dorland to help the educational satellite TV station appeal to a wider audience as a source of entertainment rather than just information.
The Discovery Channel Europe has chosen Bates Dorland to help the
educational satellite TV station appeal to a wider audience as a source
of entertainment rather than just information.
Graham Hinton, the chairman of Dorlands, confirmed the win, and
explained that the challenge would be to put right many misconceptions
about Discovery, which runs a mix of documentaries and other information
programmes, ranging from science to history.
‘Our view is that there are people out there who are particularly
interested in information, but who think the channel might be too
worthy. It is a misconception we have to put right,’ he said.
Media on the pounds 1.5 million account has not yet been decided,
although discussions are still being held with Dorlands’ usual media
partners, Zenith Media and Equinox Communications, and with the
incumbent, John Ayling and Associates.
Chris Turner, the marketing director of Discovery, said the brief only
currently covered Discovery, but might expand to cover its sister
station, the Learning Channel.
Turner added that he had overcome his antipathy to large agencies
because Dorlands did not seem to have layers of bureaucracy, and had
presented a ‘compelling’ strategy and ‘wonderful’ creative work.
Dorlands presented against the creative incumbent, Harari Page, plus
Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters and Butterfield Day Devito Hockney for the
Discovery claims to be the third-largest media brand globally, but has
failed to mirror this in the fast-expanding cable and satellite market.
Dorlands’ brief is to extend the station’s penetration.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Art Director createselect Up to £40K pa, depending on experience, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- DM Account / Senior Manager Â– Not for profit / Charity sector ADLIB £Dependent on experience , South West England / Gloucestershire
- Project and Operations Manager BIS Recruit up to £50,000 plus BUPA Share Options free beer breakfasts and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)
- Business Forecaster / Modeller BIS Recruit up to £40,000 plus BUPA, Share Options, free beer and more, City of Westminster, London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account