Channel 5 awards Walker pounds 10m task
By CLAIRE BEALE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 May 1998 12:00AM
Channel 5 has parted company with its incumbent media suppliers, Carat and Michaelides & Bednash, and handed its entire pounds 10 million media account to Walker Media without a pitch.
Channel 5 has parted company with its incumbent media suppliers,
Carat and Michaelides & Bednash, and handed its entire pounds 10 million
media account to Walker Media without a pitch.
Michaelides & Bednash handled Channel 5’s strategic media account while
Carat was the incumbent on its media buying.
Jim Hytner, Channel 5’s new marketing director, appointed Walker Media
on Wednesday. ’Carat and M&B have done a fantastic job but I think it’s
important to consolidate planning and buying at this stage of our
development,’ he said.
Hytner added that Walker Media’s founding partner, Phil Georgiadis,
would ’bring a lot of what M&B brought to the party’ in terms of a
strong creative input.
Both Georgiadis and his partner, Christine Walker, have worked with
Hytner before - Georgiadis at WCRS when Hytner was marketing controller
on the Sega account and Walker at Zenith when Hytner was the marketing
director on the agency’s Sky Television business.
Hytner explained that he decided not to hold a pitch for the Channel 5
business because ’it’s old-fashioned to have a beauty parade when you
know who the best people around are’.
Mark Craze, the managing director of Carat, said: ’We are bemused and
appalled at the way we have been treated. Our team did a wonderful job
and bust a gut, helping to successfully launch Channel 5. The thanks we
now get for our efforts is to be sacked.’
Georgiadis said the appointment was a resounding endorsement of Walker
Media’s positioning as a full-service media company.
’It’s very much at the heart of our proposition because it stretches
from strategic development to implementation. It’s fantastic that a
media owner of such prestige has put its faith in our offering. We’re
looking forward to working with Jim and the Channel 5 team.’
Channel 5’s creative account, handled by Mother, is not under review and
the agency will be working on an autumn campaign.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: excellent benefits, North London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £44000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £28000 - £34000 per annum, London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity