NEWS: Shell invites three to pitch for European job
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 November 1996 12:00AM
Shell has kicked off the search for an agency to handle its entire pounds 60 million European creative account. The oil giant currently splits its advertising on a country-by-country basis.
Shell has kicked off the search for an agency to handle its entire
pounds 60 million European creative account. The oil giant currently
splits its advertising on a country-by-country basis.
Shell has asked three roster agencies to pitch for the business - Ogilvy
and Mather, which handles the pounds 7 million UK account as well as
creative work in a number of countries across Europe;
J. Walter Thompson, which works on Shell in Asia Pacific, Greece and
Germany; and Publicis, which covers Scandinavia and France.
The review is being driven by a group of senior Shell marketers,
comprising David Watson, Shell Europe’s brand communication convergence
manager, Andrew Blazye, Shell’s global brand development manager, and
Kjell Johnsen, Shell’s Scandinavian brand manager.
Watson confirmed the review and commented: ‘It is likely that we will
appoint one agency to handle all or most of Shell’s advertising across
Europe.’ He added that the move was designed to create a more
‘consistent brand’ for Shell across Europe.
The pitch creates difficulties for JWT London, which handles the pounds
11 million Esso account in the UK. No-one at Esso was available to
comment as Campaign went to press and Dominic Proctor, JWT London’s
chief executive, also declined to comment. However, Shell’s Watson said:
‘Any competitive clashes can be resolved when we decide on an agency.’
Miles Colebrook, JWT Europe’s chief executive, sought to play down the
significance of the pitch, saying: ‘Shell has simply briefed us to
explain how we operate in Europe. It will then decide what to do with
Initial presentations will take place in the middle of December, with a
decision expected in January.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- IAB: ad is 'viewable' if half of it is seen for one second
- Powerade launches global World Cup campaign
- We Are Pi wins Wrangler's European creative account