NEWS: Foote Cone Belding takes on ‘unknown’ to fill role of business development manager
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 November 1996 12:00AM
Foote Cone Belding is putting its new-business effort in the hands of an executive who has no experience of agencies and has never worked in the UK.
Foote Cone Belding is putting its new-business effort in the hands of an
executive who has no experience of agencies and has never worked in the
David Roche, 27, a former jazz musician, has been appointed business
development manager only three months after coming to the UK and having
spent almost his entire working life in his native Ireland.
His brief, when he joins in January, will be to help the agency gain
entry to more pitch-lists as well as helping to win extra assignments
from existing clients.
‘It’s true, I’ve no agency experience which means I’ve no contacts,’
Roche admitted. ‘But I can look at the business with a fresh pair of
eyes, even if I have to make up the rules as I go along. It will
certainly encourage me to take a very experimental view of new
He added: ‘I come from a small company which had no heritage but was
successful. I’m joining one with a great heritage and a rising
Roche, who had talks with several other UK shops, including M&C Saatchi,
before signing for FCB, will report to Chris Rendel, the agency’s
managing director, and its chairman, Robert Hamer.
Rendel said: ‘David may have an unconventional background, but he has a
philosophy which entirely complements our own.’
Roche set up his own music-related business three years ago while
reading for a maths and English degree at Trinity College, Dublin. He
later moved into corporate events and marketing and won an assignment to
handle a below-the-line campaign for Guinness in Ireland.
‘FCB seems to have taken the lead in throwing out the over-cautiousness
many agencies seem to have when it comes to hiring an outsider,’ he
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Graduate Account Planner Havas EHS £16,000 + relocation , Cirencester, Cotswolds.
- Commercial Strategist - one of the fastest growing global innovation agencies Bamboo Crowd £30,000 - £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Web Designer become £38K, Hertfordshire
- Account Planners Stopgap £40000 - £65000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account