NEWS: HHCL unveils Martini’s Christmas ads
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 November 1996 12:00AM
Gilly Newhead, Martini’s bitchy spokeswoman, will return to TV this week to promote the ‘beautiful drink’ for Christmas.
Gilly Newhead, Martini’s bitchy spokeswoman, will return to TV this week
to promote the ‘beautiful drink’ for Christmas.
The first ten-second film opens on Newhead holding a glass of Martini
and reclining on a red sofa. The scene behind her is luxurious and
Newhead is sumptuously dressed in black velvet.
‘Christmas is all about giving,’ she purrs, smiling amiably at the
camera. ‘Give your friends a bottle of Martini.’ Her face hardens as she
smirks: ‘And if they are not quite beautiful enough, just take it back.’
Three further ten-second spots, all featuring Newhead, continue the
‘beautiful people’ theme. In one, Newhead proclaims: ‘I adore
Christmas, the season of indulgence. Darlings - indulge.’
She takes a canape from a plate, before adding: ‘And afterwards, simply
have a little liposuction.’
In a 30-second version, Newhead complains: ‘Isn’t it tiresome at
Christmas when drinks companies drag out their old ads. Surely they can
afford to shoot a new one?’ The film cuts to footage of an old 70s
‘anytime, anyplace, anywhere’ Martini ad and then cuts back to Newhead.
She raises an eyebrow and shrugs.
The five films were devised by the Howell Henry Chaldecott Lury
creatives, Antonia Green and Nani Kohler. They were directed by Kim
Knolte through Eclipse Films.
The ads will break on national ITV and Channel 4 on Friday and will run
until Christmas. Media planning and buying is by Universal McCann.
Howell Henry launched its debut work for Martini last November with the
aim of relaunching the 70s brand with the theme: ‘Campaigning to make
Britain a more beautiful place.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Digital Project Manager Profiles Creative £35000 - £50000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Designer Guru Careers £35 - 50k DOE, Based in South West London (SW18) - Commutable from Putney, Central London, The City, Greater London
- Digital Marketing Executive Better Placed Recruitment £20000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits, Leeds
- Account Manager Pitch Consultants £24000 - £30000 per annum, Warwickshire