Euro RSCG swipes Wonderbra brand
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 May 1997 12:00AM
Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper is believed to have snatched the Wonderbra account from TBWA/Simons Palmer, reuniting the underwear brand with Nigel Rose, the copywriter responsible for its most famous advertising line, ’hello boys.’
Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper is believed to have snatched the Wonderbra
account from TBWA/Simons Palmer, reuniting the underwear brand with
Nigel Rose, the copywriter responsible for its most famous advertising
line, ’hello boys.’
The move ends speculation that the prestigious account, which
TBWA/Simons Palmer resigned earlier this week, would follow Rose’s
high-profile former partner, Trevor Beattie, to GGT.
As well as Wonderbra, Euro RSCG has picked up the entire Sara Lee-owned
Playtex account across Europe, which includes brands such as
The pan-European account was previously split between Saatchi and
Saatchi and the TBWA network.
TBWA/Simons Palmer fell out with Wonderbra in the UK earlier this year
after the two failed to agree on a new creative direction for the
Meanwhile, Playtex began a pitch for its pan-European business between
Saatchis and Euro RSCG.
Wonderbra was TBWA’s highest profile account, although its UK spend last
year was only pounds 500,000. The ’hello boys’ campaign, which started
in 1994, made a big impact on the careers of Eva Herzigova, the
supermodel who starred in the ads, and Beattie, the then-creative
director of TBWA.
Although he willingly credits Rose with writing the original line,
Beattie has always been closely associated with the Wonderbra campaign,
and authorship of the work has been a publicly contentious issue between
the two creatives.
No-one at Euro RSCG was able to confirm the win. Paul Simons, the chief
executive of TBWA/Simons Palmer, who was unaware that a new agency had
already been appointed, said: ’Three of our campaign ideas have been
rejected at the Playtex headquarters in Rome, which has been
demoralising for the creatives.’
The ’hello boys’ Wonderbra campaign broke on St Valentine’s Day
The advertising continues to attract media attention but, despite fresh
bursts, it has not moved forward creatively in the three years since it
Two years ago, TBWA co-operated with Euro RSCG on a spoof Wonderbra
campaign for Kaliber low-alcohol lager.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Partnership Manager Direct Recruitment £40,000 - £45,000, London
- Planning Director Direct Recruitment £100,000 + Bens, London
- Category Manager (SSP UK) £35K + bonus SSP UK Ltd £34000 - £35000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
- Senior Planner Direct Recruitment £65,000 - £75,000, London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%