Lenny Henry is star of comic spots for Sodastream brand
By ANNA GRIFFITHS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 May 1997 12:00AM
Lenny Henry is recreating three of his TV comedy characters - including the ’lurve’ king, Theophilus P. Wildebeeste - in advertising to relaunch the Sodastream soft drink machine and its revamped product range.
Lenny Henry is recreating three of his TV comedy characters -
including the ’lurve’ king, Theophilus P. Wildebeeste - in advertising
to relaunch the Sodastream soft drink machine and its revamped product
Wildebeeste joins George the bouncer and Squeako the scouser in three
commercials. The ads aim to rid Sodastream of its reputation as a ’car
boot sale cast-off’ by emphasising its role in modern family life with
the theme, ’just the way you like it’.
The Sid Roberson-directed films, the first to be produced by Mitchell
Patterson Grime Mitchell since winning the pounds 3 million account
(Campaign, 18 April) will go on a six-week test in the Granada region
from Monday before a probable national roll-out. Media buying is through
John Ayling and Associates.
The campaign is the culmination of efforts by Cadbury Schweppes, which
acquired Sodastream in 1985, to revitalise the brand by improving
technology in the machines and augmenting the range with drinks from its
The advertising, targeted mainly at mothers and children, promotes the
new Fresh Fruits range and Hints adult soft drinks as well as sparkling
Henry, who contributed to the scripts himself, is contracted for further
commercials supporting Sodastream products as they appear.
Neal Patterson, the joint creative director of Mitchell Patterson, said:
’Henry’s characters are almost made for 30-second commercials.’
The commercials featuring Wildebeeste and George were written by Monty
Verdi and art directed by Fabrice Ward. The Squeako film was written by
Rachel Worzencraft and art directed by Maria Hipwell.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Designer/ Creative Director Designate Major Players £40000 - £50000 per annum + Plus Benefits, City of London
- Group Head of Design Gemini Search £40000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + Benifits, City of London
- Creative Operations Manager Guru Careers £27 - 32k, Based West Drayton, Greater London (UB7)
- Loyalty Rewards Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + benefits, International/Europe
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni