IT title targets male readers with focus on music and jobs
By ANNA GRIFFITHS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 May 1997 12:00AM
A men’s monthly lifestyle magazine, IT, is set to launch next month, when it will be handed out free at tube stations across London by former topless models.
A men’s monthly lifestyle magazine, IT, is set to launch next
month, when it will be handed out free at tube stations across London by
former topless models.
With a print run of 50,000, the magazine will provide an alternative
male format to free titles such as Ms London and 9 to 5, as well as
challenging the booming male magazine market. The title will be printed
on A4 glossy paper, and is described by its publisher, Paul De Laney, as
a ’scaled down version of GQ and Loaded’.
The title, which was originally intended to be about the subject of
information technology, changed direction when De Laney realised that
attracting advertising in the competitive IT sector would be difficult.
IT will now focus on music, entertainment and job opportunities.
Advertisers signed up for the first issue include CK eyewear, Dunlop
watches and Underground Shoes.
The magazine, which is set to launch on 9 June, will be handed out by
the models at major London tube and mainline rail stations.
De Laney said: ’It addresses the man who doesn’t go out and spend pounds
3 on a magazine. Women buy two or three titles a month, but the average
man doesn’t. We aim to hit men who don’t buy lifestyle titles, but like
to read them.’
De Laney, who describes himself as a night club entrepreneur, is
investing in the magazine alongside an anonymous partner from the
publishing industry. Fourteen full- and part-time staff will work on
IT hopes to cash in on the advertising opportunities in the men’s
magazine market, where circulation grew 50 per cent year on year across
the board, according to Audit Bureau of Circulations figures for the six
months to December 1996.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Search & Performance Marketing Director - Dubai MCG Associates Competitive and Tax Free in the sunshine!, Dubai, UAE
- Regional Planning & Strategy Director - Middle East & North Africa - Dubai Based MCG Associates Large Tax Free Package + Family Medical + Family Flights + Bonus + Relocation flights and hotel, Dubai - UAE
- Biddable Account Manager - Social Media - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'