NEWS: BMP DDB prepares for battle to keep Schweppes dollars 20m account
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 August 1996 12:00AM
Schweppes Europe has called a review of its dollars 20 million pan-European advertising account, following the appointment of Doug Tough as its new president.
Schweppes Europe has called a review of its dollars 20 million
pan-European advertising account, following the appointment of Doug
Tough as its new president.
The full-service business has been held by DDB for the past four years,
and includes all brands promoted under the Schweppes name, such as tonic
water, bitter lemon, lemonade, Malvern spring water and Schizan, the
carbonated ‘new age’ fruit drink which was launched last year with a
pounds 1.5 million spend.
Dominic Lowe, the vice-president of marketing at Schweppes, said: ‘I
felt it was an appropriate moment to review our options. We will be
asking a small number of agencies to pitch for the account alongside
Other agencies thought to be in the running include Saatchi and Saatchi,
which already has the Schweppes-owned Oasis, Dr Pepper, and Sunkist
brands, as well as Young and Rubicam and Lowe Howard-Spink.
There has been no major Schweppes advertising in the UK for more than a
year. BMP DDB has recently produced creative work for Schweppes Tonic
which ran in northern and eastern Europe. The agency has also been
appointed to the autumn launch of Schweppes’ Raging Hog drink, available
in a range of neon-coloured fruit flavours.
The TV and poster campaign for Schweppes Tonic used coloured line
drawings of a bottle-shaped character, who indulges in various loud
activities, such as slurping his drink in the cinema and donning a
brightly coloured Hawaiian shirt, provoking his companions to utter the
famous ‘Schhh...’ line.
Schweppes Europe is the European soft-drinks arm of Cadbury Schweppes.
In June, Coca-Cola and Cadbury Schweppes ended their joint production
and distribution deal, with both companies selling their stakes in CCSB
to the Atlanta-based Coca-Cola Enterprises.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire