Telegraph works with Disney on new comic
By ANNA GRIFFITHS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 October 1998 12:00AM
The Sunday Telegraph has formed an alliance with Disney to produce a children’s supplement for the newspaper, called Disney’s Planet.
The Sunday Telegraph has formed an alliance with Disney to produce
a children’s supplement for the newspaper, called Disney’s Planet.
The publication, which will be slightly bigger than A4 size, is set to
launch on 22 November. It has been created to widen the Telegraph’s
appeal to audiences of all age groups and will carry news stories,
features, competitions and interactive content - all of which will be
heavily branded with the Disney logo.
Jeremy Deedes, the managing director of the Telegraph Group, said: ’This
goes further than sponsorship because we have bought the Disney
’It will be a Disney publication with the Disney characters. It is not
just us using its name on the top, although we are putting it
He added: ’If you are given the opportunity to launch a children’s
publication and are asked for your brand partner of choice, there would
be only one - Disney. Weekend newspapers should increasingly appeal to
everyone in the family.’
The 12-page supplement will rival the Sunday Times’s comic for children,
the Funday Times. The launch will be backed by a TV advertising
campaign, created by J. Walter Thompson, which will run on children’s
ITV, Sky and Channel 4 from 19 November for two weeks.
Disney’s Planet will be edited by Kate Graham and produced by Two Can
Publishing, which also works on the Young Telegraph for the Saturday
Telegraph. It will carry two pages of advertising, which can increase to
four with a 16-page issue.
Deedes said a ’seven-figure sum’ was being invested in the
The Telegraph has signed a two-year contract with Disney to produce the
Deedes said: ’It’s an unashamed attempt to give more pleasure. It will
never commercially wash its face but when advertisers see it they will
at least give it a lick and a promise.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London