NEWS: Coral calls review as betting laws change
By ANNE-MARIE CRAWFORD, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 31 May 1996 12:00AM
The bookmaker, Coral, is understood to be talking to agencies about a rethink on its pounds 1.3 million advertising account.
The bookmaker, Coral, is understood to be talking to agencies about a
rethink on its pounds 1.3 million advertising account.
The task has been given greater urgency with the news that Bass, the
owner of Coral, is currently in takeover talks with the betting shop
chain, William Hill.
Coral is believed to have lined up a number of agencies for initial
talks about itsÿ20advertising.
It is also looking for advice over legislation coming into effect next
month which will allow betting shops to sell scratchcards.
Other changes later in the year may allow shops to advertise their
address, which they are currently forbidden from including in ads.
Nigel Philips, the commercial manager at Coral, who joined the company
two months ago, said: ‘I’m obviously reviewing what’s going on.
Inevitably, Coral’s communication strategy will be reviewed but we’re
some way from drawing conclusions.’
Advertising on the Coral account is currently held by Group X, while
Bates Dorland handles William Hill’s pounds 2.6 million business. Media
for Coral is handled by BBJ Media Services - which also handles the Bass
centralised account - while William Hill’s media is bought by MBS.
Coral recently undertook an overhaul of its 900-strong chain,
introducing the ‘blue shop’ concept in 200 of them, aiming to provide a
more pleasant environment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Brand Leader - FMCG to £60k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £60000 per annum, Switzerland
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands