New WAP technology puts Loot database on mobile phones
By MARK TUNGATE, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 06 March 2000 12:00AM
Loot has placed its database of car, property and accommodation classified ads onto mobile phones.
Loot has placed its database of car, property and accommodation
classified ads onto mobile phones.
The company is one of the first publishers to take advantage of the new
wireless application protocol (WAP) technology by making its Loot.com
service available to WAP-enabled mobile phone users.
Customers who have WAP equipped handsets can now access a database of
hundreds of cars and homes via Genie Internet, Orange or Fonedata.
Loot managing director Graham Tolhurst said: ’You see a lot of wonderful
press releases about what people are going to do with WAP, but nobody is
actually doing it. We’ve been on the net since 1992 and now we’ve been
able to launch a WAP service before anyone else.’
The service includes the entire Loot listings of cars, property and
rented accommodation. Users who are searching for accommodation can
register their interest in particular areas and receive regular
’When you’re searching for somewhere to live, time is of the essence,’
Tolhurst pointed out. ’With this system you get to see the latest ads on
the database, press a button and have the landlord on your phone in
Tolhurst added that Loot intended to make WAP a key part of its
’The potential for anyone working in the classified advertising field is
enormous. What we can do now is like comparing a 70s Binatone computer
game to PlayStation.’
He said that Loot.com had been able to get its WAP service up and
running quickly because the technical team had already been
experimenting with a similar platform.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Artworker (Corporate Communications, Annual Reports) Creative Recruitment £32000 per annum, London
- Pricing Analyst Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Senior customer & Market Intelligence Manager Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Product Manager Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show