Diary: Top Gear - WAP mobile phones
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 07 February 2000 12:00AM
You probably already know what WAP is - and it ain’t a posh person’s description of the music Jay-Z makes.
You probably already know what WAP is - and it ain’t a posh
person’s description of the music Jay-Z makes.
Basically, wireless application protocol has gone from being an obscure
term known only to readers of science fiction , to the thing every poser
wants on his or her mobile phone.
For the uninitiated, WAP is an advanced messaging service that lets you
see internet content on your phone’s LCD screen. In other words, you can
surf the net, e-mail your mates, find out what’s on at the cinema and
book tickets - all while you’re sitting on the train.
WAP games are also on the way, threatening to make life even more
irritating for commuters. ’He’s talking behind me! Now he’s playing a
game behind me! When will it ever end!’
Techie types are taking this very seriously - IBM has created an entire
WAP division - and the chances are your laptop is going to look
seriously unwieldy in a few years’ time.
There are a few versions available, such as the Nokia 7110 and Siemens’
new C35 and S35, among others.
If you’ve got the dosh, it might be worth taking a punt.
Nokia 7110 - pounds 129.99
Available from all branches of the Carphone Warehouse.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Pitch Consultants £3000 - £34000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Birmingham