Granada’s Adsphere to go live in the new year
By RACHEL MINTER, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 13 December 1999 12:00AM
Granada Media Sales will launch Adsphere - its ’gyroscope’ format for TV ads - on digital TV next year, after pilot tests showed it increased brand recall by as much as 21 per cent.
Granada Media Sales will launch Adsphere - its ’gyroscope’ format
for TV ads - on digital TV next year, after pilot tests showed it
increased brand recall by as much as 21 per cent.
First reported in Media Business on 20 September, Adsphere offers
clients a new means of advertising. It was initially broadcast as a
rotating sphere, enclosing logos and ads that shoot out of the shape,
run and then return to the sphere. In each commercial break, viewers are
invited to enter a phone-in competition linked to the ads.
According to the research, the new advertising initiative attracted
13,000 calls across the two weeks of transmission on two Granada Sky
The creators of Adsphere, Granada and ad agency BMP OMD, sent
questionnaires to 550 homes. It found that Adsphere attracted a recall
of 14 per cent, while the brands featured in the competition created an
added 7 per cent interest. The first participating advertisers included
Gillette, Boots, Camelot and St Ivel.
Craig Nayman, sales director at Granada Media Sales Satellite and Cable,
said: ’Adsphere has been a runaway success. The point behind the
experiment is to try to maintain viewer retention in multichannel homes.
We have to hold people during commercial breaks.’
In light of the first trial, the gyroscope device will continue but the
format will be constantly updated. ’The whole point of Adsphere is to
make sure people don’t get used to a traditional format,’ Nayman said.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Strategy Director Rare Selection Up to £80K + bonus, health, pension, Central London
- Digital Strategist - Growth & Innovation Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £50K + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Consultant - 2 vacancies Rare Selection £60 - £80K + 30% bonus, 8% pension, and excellent benefits, London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection Highly competitive, Central London