Carlton pulls plug on Carlton Select
By RACHEL MINTER, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 13 December 1999 12:00AM
Carlton Communications is axing Carlton Select, the channel that sits in the Carlton Digital portfolio with Carlton Food Network and Carlton Cinema.
Carlton Communications is axing Carlton Select, the channel that
sits in the Carlton Digital portfolio with Carlton Food Network and
Carlton Select, which is carried on ONdigital, was launched in June 1995
and positioned as an entertainment channel running repeat drama taken
from ITV, Channel 4 and the BBC.
The United and Carlton merger statement omitted to mention the
continuation of the channel and company insiders confirmed that it would
vanish next year.
The final decision will be confirmed once the Independent Television
Commission agrees to change ONdigital’s official channel line up.
One media agency source said it made sense to close the channel because
the market was saturated: ’It can’t even compete with Granada Plus, let
alone UK Gold and the terrestrial channels. But Food Network offers
something a little different and makes a bit of money.’
A spokesperson for Carlton Digital Sales confirmed that Carlton Select
is to be replaced by much stronger Carlton property.
Carlton Digital Sales will continue to sell the other two channels,
Carlton Cinema and Carlton Food Network, which are being put into more
saleable packages that will offer interactive advertising opportunities.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Assistant Visual Merchandising Manager Creative Recruitment negotiable, City of London
- Senior Designer / Art Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £36000 per annum, Buckinghamshire
- SEO Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy Subject to skill set, London
- Associate Director - Sports Research PSD Group £45,000 to £55,000 + bonus + benefits, Central London