campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 13 December 1999 12:00AM
Carlton Media Sales supremo Martin Bowley recently treated delegates at a marketing conference to an example of his wit - at the expense of MindShare’s Simon Rees. The pair were taking questions from the floor when they were asked to predict the future media applications of mobile phones.
Carlton Media Sales supremo Martin Bowley recently treated
delegates at a marketing conference to an example of his wit - at the
expense of MindShare’s Simon Rees. The pair were taking questions from
the floor when they were asked to predict the future media applications
of mobile phones.
In response, Bowley took out his phone and said: ’It’s amazing what they
can do these days. Mine is voice-activated.’ He then said ’wanker’ into
the phone. ’That goes through to my finance director,’ he explained.
Then he added: ’And if I say ’arsehole’, it goes through to Simon
As a flabbergasted Rees was sitting next to him, Bowley didn’t need the
latter function at that particular moment.
Capital Advertising’s Christmas bash nearly caused a riot in central
London. The theme of the party, thrown at Home, was ’making our clients
famous’ - and sales staff obligingly dressed up as celebrities for the
night. There were also a few professional lookalikes, who provided
impressive impersonations of Elton John, Denise Van Outen and Michael
But the stars of the show were the fake Posh and Becks. The couple who
played them are also an item, and their loving embraces at the club’s
first floor window drove onlookers wild. There was a frenzied attack on
Home as fans tried to force their way in. But Capital’s staff continued
to bop away to a live performance by Texas, oblivious to the havoc
Hotcakes has always regarded John Brown as a man of some taste, so it
was extremely surprising to see him cuddling up to a fat slag at a
The bash was held to celebrate Viz’s 20th birthday and the enormous lady
in question was an inanimate version of one of the comic’s best-loved
Comedian Arthur Smith also made an appearance - but only after Hotcakes
spotted him struggling through the Underground ticket barriers - and was
later said to have absconded with an entire tub of cocktail
Clearly, he had a long and arduous journey ahead of him.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Display Account Manager- Print and Digital £35K Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Account Director, partnership marketing, amazing brand! The Industry Club London Ltd Up to £50k, Central London, some travel to Surrey
- Consultant/Senior Consultant at a leading executive search consultancy Hanson Search Competitive Package , London
- Marketing Manager Dynamic New Alliances £45000.00 per annum + benefits, London
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive