campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 18 October 1999 12:00AM
I’ve nothing against Michelle Steggles from Starcom. And as she’s got pounds 30 million of lovely clients’ wonga to throw around, why would I have?
I’ve nothing against Michelle Steggles from Starcom. And as she’s
got pounds 30 million of lovely clients’ wonga to throw around, why
would I have?
But you know what really gets my goat? It’s when she starts spouting
rubbish like ’any fool can place an ad in a magazine. I want to take it
further’. Oh yeah? Who does she think she is, some namby-pamby creative
or what? If she’s so hot on new ideas, how come I’ve never seen anything
interesting from any of her clients, like a cover-mounted choccie
digestive or a giant Linda McCartney veggie burger on a TDI
I’ll tell you why. Because like most media buyers these days, she’s all
mouth and no trousers. Oh sure, they talk a good game. There’s lots of
guff about ’thinking outside the box’ (yawn) and ’innovative thinking’,
like she’s swallowed a management consultant’s dictionary. She’s
probably got half a dozen rejections from New PHD or Michaelides &
Bednash in her bottom drawer.
Trouble is, give her and her kind an ’outside-the-box’ idea and watch
them run a mile. It’s ’too expensive’, ’too risky’ or ’too unproven for
a client with the stature of ours’.
Stature? Bollocks. They’re just far too scared to take risks. When they
talk about ’outside-the-box’ thinking, they’re only talking about one
thing - discount.
Got something to rant about?
Call 0208-267 4702 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Marketing Coordinator /Communication Production Assistant - Mar Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £25000 - £32000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- Marketing Executive - Marketing Communications Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £25000 - £32000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Digital Account Executive Twist Recruitment £19000 - £22000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%