campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 18 October 1999 12:00AM
I’ve nothing against Michelle Steggles from Starcom. And as she’s got pounds 30 million of lovely clients’ wonga to throw around, why would I have?
I’ve nothing against Michelle Steggles from Starcom. And as she’s
got pounds 30 million of lovely clients’ wonga to throw around, why
would I have?
But you know what really gets my goat? It’s when she starts spouting
rubbish like ’any fool can place an ad in a magazine. I want to take it
further’. Oh yeah? Who does she think she is, some namby-pamby creative
or what? If she’s so hot on new ideas, how come I’ve never seen anything
interesting from any of her clients, like a cover-mounted choccie
digestive or a giant Linda McCartney veggie burger on a TDI
I’ll tell you why. Because like most media buyers these days, she’s all
mouth and no trousers. Oh sure, they talk a good game. There’s lots of
guff about ’thinking outside the box’ (yawn) and ’innovative thinking’,
like she’s swallowed a management consultant’s dictionary. She’s
probably got half a dozen rejections from New PHD or Michaelides &
Bednash in her bottom drawer.
Trouble is, give her and her kind an ’outside-the-box’ idea and watch
them run a mile. It’s ’too expensive’, ’too risky’ or ’too unproven for
a client with the stature of ours’.
Stature? Bollocks. They’re just far too scared to take risks. When they
talk about ’outside-the-box’ thinking, they’re only talking about one
thing - discount.
Got something to rant about?
Call 0208-267 4702 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Senior Creative Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Woburn Sands
- Senior Packaging Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £27000 - £40000 per annum, Gloucestershire
- Marketing Capability Manager - Kingston Upon Thames Stopgap negotiable, Kingston upon Thames
- Web Trading Manager Stopgap £60000 - £65000 per annum, South East England