Express and Emap unveil online plans with a female focus
By RACHEL MINTER, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 22 November 1999 12:00AM
The rush to corner the lucrative female e-commerce market continued this week with the announcement that Express Newspapers is planning a female lifestyle site, while Emap is planning to launch Red Direct as fully fledged e-commerce catalogue.
The rush to corner the lucrative female e-commerce market continued
this week with the announcement that Express Newspapers is planning a
female lifestyle site, while Emap is planning to launch Red Direct as
fully fledged e-commerce catalogue.
Express New Media is seeking 26 staff, including online sales people, to
help create and sell space on three sites including a women’s lifestyle
site, a consumer business information site and a site which will be ’an
extension of a core Express brand value’.
The sites are still in the planning stages and will not go live until
Emap’s Red Direct Online will launch around that time.
At present, Red magazine offers its fashion, interiors and cosmetics
home shopping spin-off, Red Direct, as a telephone-based service, but
Reddirect.co.uk will be a fully fledged e-catalogue.
Emap’s chief executive Kevin Hand last week promised other new-media
ventures in the women’s market. ’Emap’s strongest association with women
is through its special interest titles,’ he told New Media Age. ’We will
use the internet to broaden the offer of these magazines, title by
title. This strategy has more potential than a broad portal approach,’
Emap’s new-media division - currently grouped with its television
product The Box - last week posted half-year revenues of pounds 10.6
million and an operating loss of pounds 1.1 million. But Emap has
earmarked another pounds 6 million for investment across its UK online
businesses and magazine titles over the next six months. A further
pounds 3 million will be invested in content-based interactive sites to
match its radio brands.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London