DIARY: ICE TO ESKIMOS - Nifty lateral thinking bags posh publishing contract
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 24 July 2000 12:00AM
Joanna Hauptman (right), head of fashion sales at Harpers & Queen, went from ad pitch to contract win in one masterful step.
Joanna Hauptman (right), head of fashion sales at Harpers & Queen,
went from ad pitch to contract win in one masterful step.
’About two years ago, when I was senior sales executive on Redwood’s
Harvey Nichols magazine HN, I went to see Molton Brown’s marketing
director to pitch for advertising.
’My presentation did not go well. He responded with a complete lack of
interest and told me he would only spend his budget on PR. Try as I
might, he said editorial was his only concern.
’Finally, I abandoned the ad pitch as I realised there might be an
opportunity to sell him a magazine of his very own. This was beyond my
remit but I explained to the client the enormous advantages and
possibilities a magazine could produce for his brand.
’As I began to mention the possibility of Redwood publishing a contract
title for Molton Brown, he started to look interested. The pitch
resulted in both a Molton Brown magazine publishing contract for Redwood
and an accompanying website.
’From that moment on, the client always described me as ’a glamorous
rottweiler’.’ Is that supposed to be a compliment?
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Interim Senior Engagement Specialist VMA Group Up to £70k pro rata , London
- Social media crazy PM needed £37-50k Digital Gurus £37000 - £50000 Per Annum, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £39,000 per annum, London
- Mid-weight Digital Designer - Boutique Digital Agency Red Sofa London £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push