DIARY: ICE TO ESKIMOS - Nifty lateral thinking bags posh publishing contract
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 24 July 2000 12:00AM
Joanna Hauptman (right), head of fashion sales at Harpers & Queen, went from ad pitch to contract win in one masterful step.
Joanna Hauptman (right), head of fashion sales at Harpers & Queen,
went from ad pitch to contract win in one masterful step.
’About two years ago, when I was senior sales executive on Redwood’s
Harvey Nichols magazine HN, I went to see Molton Brown’s marketing
director to pitch for advertising.
’My presentation did not go well. He responded with a complete lack of
interest and told me he would only spend his budget on PR. Try as I
might, he said editorial was his only concern.
’Finally, I abandoned the ad pitch as I realised there might be an
opportunity to sell him a magazine of his very own. This was beyond my
remit but I explained to the client the enormous advantages and
possibilities a magazine could produce for his brand.
’As I began to mention the possibility of Redwood publishing a contract
title for Molton Brown, he started to look interested. The pitch
resulted in both a Molton Brown magazine publishing contract for Redwood
and an accompanying website.
’From that moment on, the client always described me as ’a glamorous
rottweiler’.’ Is that supposed to be a compliment?
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Digital Account Manager Â– Cracking B2C Brands ADLIB £30k - £40k, Bristol
- Senior Marketing Manager - Acquistion Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 per annum, London
- Global Senior Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Designer become £33K, Central London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency