campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 25 April 2000 12:00AM
There I was, sitting at my desk on a Friday afternoon, on deadline with one page to go. I was staring into space in search of inspiration, having already called everyone I could think of without any joy.
There I was, sitting at my desk on a Friday afternoon, on deadline
with one page to go. I was staring into space in search of inspiration,
having already called everyone I could think of without any joy.
All of a sudden a fax landed on my desk. Among the usual blurb was:
’Please resend your details today for booking purposes.’ The fax
appeared to have been sent by a dotcom.
Rubbing my hands together and thinking of charging ratecard, I phoned
the company to speak to ’Timothy of business development’.
The phone was answered by a public school-educated media type. But when
I asked to speak to Timothy, the posh boy’s voice quickly turned into a
Cockney ’Oo’s callin’?’
When I told him, he paused and said: ’Just fax the media pack and I’ll
get ’im to call you.’ I asked why he wouldn’t put me through, and that’s
when things got weird. ’Ee’s not ’ere, guv - I fink ’ee’s gorn abroad
for six weeks to see some clients.’
On later perusal I noticed that the mock dotcom’s fax number was an 0906
pounds 1-a-minute premium-rate number.
The last thing we need are East End conmen trying to blag us on deadline
day. So if you get a fax from asking you to contact Timothy, my advice
is to bin it - straight away.
Got something to rant about? Call 020-8267 4702 or e-mail
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, City of London
- SEO Director / Head of Business Development - £65K (£85K OTE) Salt £65000 per annum + 20000 OTE, London
- Senior Account Manager, Corporate Branding Hasson Associates £38,000 - £50,000 , Central London
- AD - Sports/Football brands Hasson Associates £45,000 - £55,000, Central London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity