campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 25 April 2000 12:00AM
There I was, sitting at my desk on a Friday afternoon, on deadline with one page to go. I was staring into space in search of inspiration, having already called everyone I could think of without any joy.
There I was, sitting at my desk on a Friday afternoon, on deadline
with one page to go. I was staring into space in search of inspiration,
having already called everyone I could think of without any joy.
All of a sudden a fax landed on my desk. Among the usual blurb was:
’Please resend your details today for booking purposes.’ The fax
appeared to have been sent by a dotcom.
Rubbing my hands together and thinking of charging ratecard, I phoned
the company to speak to ’Timothy of business development’.
The phone was answered by a public school-educated media type. But when
I asked to speak to Timothy, the posh boy’s voice quickly turned into a
Cockney ’Oo’s callin’?’
When I told him, he paused and said: ’Just fax the media pack and I’ll
get ’im to call you.’ I asked why he wouldn’t put me through, and that’s
when things got weird. ’Ee’s not ’ere, guv - I fink ’ee’s gorn abroad
for six weeks to see some clients.’
On later perusal I noticed that the mock dotcom’s fax number was an 0906
pounds 1-a-minute premium-rate number.
The last thing we need are East End conmen trying to blag us on deadline
day. So if you get a fax from asking you to contact Timothy, my advice
is to bin it - straight away.
Got something to rant about? Call 020-8267 4702 or e-mail
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014