24/7 puts ads on mobile phones
By JONAH BLOOM, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 28 February 2000 12:00AM
Online ad sales house 24/7 Europe has created what it claims is the world’s first WAP (wireless application protocol) ad server.
Online ad sales house 24/7 Europe has created what it claims is the
world’s first WAP (wireless application protocol) ad server.
According to 24/7, 90 per cent of web players in Europe are already
building or planning WAP interfaces and, by the year 2003, half a
billion consumers will have WAP-enabled mobile phones.
The system enables WAP ad campaigns to be placed into mobile content,
which users can access using WAP or SMS (short message service) enabled
As well as delivering the advertising, the system will allow advertisers
to see how many times their commercial has been accessed by consumers,
in the same way they can with 24/7’s internet ad serving technology.
24/7 is testing the technology in Holland, Finland and Denmark. It plans
to roll out the system in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and
Norway in the spring.
One of the media owners testing the ad server is the Finnish newspaper
Kauppalehti, which has signed up the online clothes retailer
Dressmart.com for an ad campaign on its WAP site.
Antti Eranne, strategic development director for 24/7 Europe, said: ’We
have used the knowledge gained from ad serving on the internet and
developed it to be effective for the WAP platform. The result is a
breakthrough on to a new advertising platform for clients in the mobile
device market. It makes increasingly sophisticated advertising models
She continued: ’We aim to be the pioneers in the wireless advertising
business by bringing the most advanced and innovative technological
solutions to both our content provider partners and our
According to 24/7, WAP phones will be available from all the major
mobile phone companies - including Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens and
Panasonic - by the end of the year. 24/7 Europe has 21 sales offices
worldwide, 12 of which are in Europe.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014