Sugar Puffs adapts Nike ’airport’ spot
By ELEANOR TRICKETT, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 02 June 2000 12:00AM
Sugar Puffs has made its own version of the famous Nike ’airport’ commercial in which the Brazilian football team caused havoc during the 1998 World Cup.
Sugar Puffs has made its own version of the famous Nike ’airport’
commercial in which the Brazilian football team caused havoc during the
1998 World Cup.
Targeted at pre-teenage children, the spot picks up on their enthusiasm
for football and works on Honey Monster’s sense of fun and soccer
Before starting production, Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R gained
permission to use the copyrighted ad from Nike.
Sugar Puffs’ version, which will launch in time for the Euro 2000
Football Championships, begins with a scene showing bored children in an
airport. Their flight has been delayed and they aimlessly kick a
Suddenly a large yellow foot stops the ball. Honey Monster has arrived
to join in the impromptu kick-about.
Just as in the Nike commercial, Honey Monster drives the ball through
the X-ray machine, hits a man on the head with the ball and dribbles it
past a security guard.
Like the footballer Ronaldo in the original, Honey Monster kicks the
ball through a passage of onlookers towards a make-shift goal. And just
like Ronaldo, he hits the post, misses and shrugs his shoulders
Chris Coleridge, the account manager for Sugar Puffs, said: ’Nike’s
famous commercial is a great platform for Honey Monster to display his
soccer skills and his sense of fun. Children find it very
The ad was written by Dave Henderson and art directed by Richard
It was directed by Matthew Judd of Blonde Films. Media is through
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Middleweight Designer Major Players £30000 - £35000 per annum + Pension & Life Cover, City of London
- Senior Brand Executive Ninesharp £120 - £130 per day, Bournemouth
- Senior Designer Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London
- Biddable Media Manager PPC - Cracking Client Accounts! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £37000 per annum + Amazing Benefits , London