Supergrass front Radio 1 spot from Fallon McElligott
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 December 1999 12:00AM
Fallon McElligott launches a major television campaign for BBC Radio 1 this weekend which features the cult brand, Supergrass, cutting a disturbingly bad version of their song, Moving.
Fallon McElligott launches a major television campaign for BBC
Radio 1 this weekend which features the cult brand, Supergrass, cutting
a disturbingly bad version of their song, Moving.
The recording begins well, but descends into a cacophony of mismatched
sounds as a variety of unsuitable noises are introduced into the
A kazoo, clashing symbols, coconut shells, a banjo, a tuba and a toy cow
that emits a ’moo’ when turned upside down are all added into the mix to
distort the distinctive sound of Supergrass.
Finally, titles come up at the end to explain: ’If Radio 1 didn’t have a
mission to play good music, neither would the hundreds of bands that
grew up listening to it.’
The idea is to outline the public service remit of the station as a
creative showcase for new music.
Gail Nuttney, the marketing manager for Radio 1, said: ’Unlike
commercial radio, our duty is to provide an innovative and creative
showcase for the best new music.’
The film was written and art directed by Richard Flintham and Andy
It was directed by Garth Jennings through Hammer & Tongs. Media is being
handled by New PHD.
Robert Senior, who heads the Radio 1 account at Fallon, said: ’The
connection between the provision of a quality youth music station and
the effect it has on Britain’s music industry is not often made. But a
connection exists and this is what we are aiming to highlight in this
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Copywriter-large leading business ADLIB Up to £30k, Dorset
- Head of Design for top Integrated Advertising Agency Mavis Recruitment £80k dependent on experience, Central London
- Mid-Weight Graphic Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Presentation Designer Major Players negotiable, City of London