Travis Perkins set to hire agency to work on mainstream ads
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 10 December 1999 12:00AM
Travis Perkins, the UK’s second-largest building merchant, is appointing an agency to help transform it into a mainstream advertiser.
Travis Perkins, the UK’s second-largest building merchant, is
appointing an agency to help transform it into a mainstream
The company said this week that it had made its selection from the three
agencies understood to have pitched for the business - worth more than
pounds 2 million - but would not be naming the winning shop until the
The pitch has been called in an attempt to make the company more
top-of-mind with hundreds of small building contractors as well as
self-employed tradesmen, many of whom do not read specialist titles but
represent a market where margins are higher.
At the pitch, which was led by Bronagh Carey, the company’s marketing
director, agencies were asked to present strategic proposals on how it
should be positioned as well as creative work to reflect that
Travis Perkins, which is based in Northampton, sells building materials
and rents tools at more than 400 of its branches throughout the
The 60,000 items it carries include timber, plumbing supplies, nails,
sheet materials, doors, heating equipment paints and bricks.
The agency brief covers the main Travis Perkins brand as well as
Keyline, the building materials chain bought recently from the Irish
manufacturer, CRH, and the latest in a series of acquisitions.
The appointment will be the first of its kind for the company which has
previously relied on ad hoc arrangements.
’The need to establish brand credentials in a market with so many
players makes it likely that the company will try to improve its direct
marketing database and move into mainstream advertising,’ an industry
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires