Bates UK lands global pounds 13m Cyprus account
By LISA CAMPBELL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 October 1999 12:00AM
Bates UK has scooped the worldwide pounds 13 million Cyprus Tourism Organisation account after a pitch process that dragged on for more than 12 months.
Bates UK has scooped the worldwide pounds 13 million Cyprus Tourism
Organisation account after a pitch process that dragged on for more than
The appointment marks the first time that the advertising has been
consolidated into one agency. The organisation has previously used up to
15 agencies across Europe, but is now looking for a consistent image
across the region.
Bates has been appointed to handle advertising promoting Cyprus as a
tourist destination across the globe, encompassing more than ten markets
including Europe, North America and the Middle East.
The agency will reposition Cyprus as a more upmarket destination, as the
country attempts to attract more higher-spending tourists.
Several agencies were asked to present their credentials to the
organisation after a notice appeared in the Official Journal of the
European Communities last year, including Publicis, Ogilvy & Mather,
McCann-Erickson and Banks Hoggins O’Shea/FCB.
However, internal problems at the semi-governmental organisation are
understood to have delayed the review and it wasn’t until last month
that the agencies pitched.
Bates will handle the account out of London, while media buying has not
yet been decided.
Increasing the number of visitors to the region is a key priority for
its government, which relies on tourists to contribute to the
The need for Cyprus to improve its publicity efforts has intensified in
recent years as the region has been dogged by negative events such as
the Gulf war.
The UK and Germany are key markets, with about 40 per cent of business
coming from Britain and the number of UK tourists expected to rise by 7
to 10 per cent, according to Cyprus’ commerce, industry and tourism
minister, Nicos Rolandis.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account