HHCL scoops Amazon’s #2m UK business
By FRANCESCA NEWLAND, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 17 September 1999 12:00AM
The online bookseller, Amazon.co.uk, has awarded its #2 million UK account to HHCL & Partners.
The online bookseller, Amazon.co.uk, has awarded its #2 million UK
account to HHCL & Partners.
The win follows a review out of Banks Hoggins O’Shea/FCB, which was
called earlier this summer. That agency was invited to repitch, but is
understood to have been knocked out of the running at an early
Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper and St Luke’s also pitched for the account.
The account is expected to increase in value as Amazon diversifies into
other sectors. At the moment only books are available on Amazon’s UK
site, but in the US, music, videos and, more recently, toys and consumer
electronics are on sale.
Robin Azis, chief executive of HHCL, said: ’Many web-based start-ups
have approached us. Being appointed to work on Amazon, the largest
internet brand in the world, is a real coup. Amazon is frighteningly
The online book market is becoming very competitive in the UK. The
Bertelsmann-owned BOL has appointed M&C Saatchi to its #6 million
account, and WH Smith Online is also offering discounted books to
The UK pitch was overseen by Amazon’s UK managing director, Simon
In July, the UK marketing director, Chris Ketley, left the company in
mid-pitch after only four months in the job. Last week Murdoch also left
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Stunning Digital Director - Top Media Agency Ultimate Asset £60000 - £63000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Strategy Director Rare Selection Up to £80K + bonus, health, pension, Central London
- Digital Strategist - Growth & Innovation Consultancy Rare Selection Up to £50K + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Consultant - 2 vacancies Rare Selection £60 - £80K + 30% bonus, 8% pension, and excellent benefits, London