DM should improve public image, new industry study says
By ASHLEY DAVIES, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 24 September 1999 12:00AM
The direct marketing industry is still dogged by problems of public perception, according to new research carried out by the Direct Marketing Association in conjunction with the Royal Mail.
The direct marketing industry is still dogged by problems of public
perception, according to new research carried out by the Direct
Marketing Association in conjunction with the Royal Mail.
Eight out of ten marketers think the man in the street doesn’t know what
direct marketing is, and six out of ten think that it has a bad image,
mainly as a result of unsolicited telemarketing.
However, seven out of ten UK marketers consider that direct marketing is
more important than above-the-line advertising in the marketing mix.
More than half said they will allocate more cash to direct marketing
over the next two years.
More than 100 clients of above- and below-the-line focused agencies were
contacted by the DMA, with budgets from a few thousand pounds up to
several million, including Bupa and the RSPCA.
The view that further integration will occur between above- and
below-the-line areas was backed up by around half of all clients and
The research, entitled Campaign 2000, was commissioned ahead of the 1999
DMA/Royal Mail awards.
Mike Barnes, the DMA’s marketing director, said: ’We’ve carried out our
research as a health check on the direct marketing industry - and to see
what trends are emerging for the future.’
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Digital Producer / Project Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: +package, Manchester
- Junior Account Manager [Direct & Digital Marketing] - Superb Agency - to £27k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £27k + great benefits, Soho. London
- UK Account Director Haymarket Media Group Dependent on experience, Teddington, Middlesex
- Junior Recruitment Consultant, Insight Team Hasson Associates £Competitive , Central London